Thursday, March 18, 2010

Reaching a Personal Best at Tunbridge Wells...

To be honest I was dreading my M25 journey - not sure if I mentioned it or not??? But it was fine - I flew round and pretty much avoided all traffic jams - says something for 6:45am starts and I'm not going to mention it again!

On arriving at the Angel Centre in Tunbridge Wells an hour early, I set about finding where the course was to be held.  The lady behind the glass screen on the reception desk said, "Classroom 3, top of the stairs, turn right end of the corridor."  I followed the directions and found many rooms with names and numbers on them, but no "classroom 3". Having wandered round corridors in vain, I returned to the reception desk and found that I should actually have been looking for "Castle 3".  All became clear - I should have had that large coffee before I rushed out the door this morning!

I finally met Steve in person today and I can honestly say he's one of the nicest and most inspiring people I've ever met.  Steve's method of getting the learners motivated and enthused is fantastic and the learners really seem to enjoy the course, Steve's teaching style and each others company.

There were only 3 learners at this Personal Best course, the other 5 were off sick, but the 3 learners I met appeared keen to be a part of this photographic project.  I'll need to put together a full plan to put to Personal Best team.

It was a great day to visit the Personal Best course as they were learning about the Olympics and volunteering.  Steve enthusiastically explained the benefits of becoming an Olympics volunteer and the 3 learners on the course saw the path they'd have to take in order to achieve that goal... lots of volunteering. 

Shortly after I arrived 2 ladies from the Kent Event Team turned up to give a pitch about volunteering around Kent over the next 2 years.  It took about 1 minute for all 3 learners to sign up to volunteer - they eagerly assured me it was nothing to do with the free pen and t-shirt!

I have been invited to another Personal Best meeting in Herne Bay.  Steve has told me I'll be able to meet some more learners who may want to be part of this project.  So I've got just over a week to get some sort of proposal ready to give to the learners and try and get their permission to be photographed...

Great day - well worth the M25 trip...... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another "Lewis" conversation...

Lewis's response to camping...